Pompey chief executive Mark Catlin has told fans the club hope to have a new manager in place as soon as possible after Guy Whittingham’s contract was terminated on Monday.
Ahead of tonight’s game with Southend United, Catlin told www.portsmouthfc.co.uk exclusively that the club was ruling no-one in and no-one out in the search for a new boss.
He said: “The board has set a seven-day deadline for applications for the post of first team manager and will also be approaching, through the appropriate channels, other candidates it feels may have the profile and skills to carry take the club forward.
“The appointment of the new manager is a crucial decision and we want to do everything possible to ensure we make the right choice.
“We have already received a number of enquiries from interested parties and we are also taking soundings from people with wide experience in the game. In consequence, we have already started what will be a thorough process.”
It is the club’s intention to hold interviews soon after the application process closes and to have the new manager in place as soon as possible afterwards.
Catlin also paid tribute to departing boss Whittingham, underlining how hard the decision had been.
He said: “I would like to thank Guy for his unstinting service to the club over many years, including as a player and coach, but in particular for his work since November 2012 when he took control of first team matters, initially as caretaker manager.
“His professionalism and dedication to the cause of Portsmouth Football Club when it was at its lowest ebb, battling to avoid liquidation, was an inspiration and we can be enormously proud of his achievements in that period.”