Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Shrewsbury v Pompey

27 April 2013

Shrewsbury 3 Pompey 2

A second half fightback failed to prevent Pompey from ending the 2012/13 season with a defeat.

Goals from Connor Goldson and Joe Jacobson had given Shrewsbury a commanding interval lead before Akwasi Asante added a third after the restart.

But Ashley Harris scrambled one home before Patrick Agyemang’s tap-in set-up an exciting conclusion.

Guy Whittingham made one change from the side that comfortably beat Sheffield United at Fratton Park seven days earlier.

Harris made his first start in almost three months alongside Agyemang up front, with David Connolly dropping to the bench.

There was a carnival atmosphere in the away end, as Blues fans – many in fancy dress – chucked around beach balls and sang about a League Two tour.

But the home support had something to cheer on six minutes when Goldson met Jon Taylor’s corner with a thunderous close-range header that flew into the net.

The goal did not seem to bother Batman & Robin and the Oompa Loompas behind Simon Eastwood, who responded with chants of “we don’t care”.

The fans needed to make their own entertainment, as there was not too much excitement on the pitch – not surprising for an end-of-season encounter between two sides with nothing but pride to play for.

Shaun Cooper had the first decent opening for Pompey on 23 minutes, but his goalbound drive was intercepted by Goldson.

The hosts thought they had doubled their lead moments later after Eastwood had failed to hold Taylor’s long shot.

The loose ball fell kindly for Tom Bradshaw, but the striker was in an offside position as he squared for Dave McAllister to tap home.

Patrick Agyemang then had a chance at the other end, turning smartly and seeing his shot deflected narrowly wide.

But Shrewsbury strengthened their advantage on 37 minutes when Jacobson’s 20-yard free-kick struck the Pompey wall and left Eastwood totally wrong-footed.

Half Time: Shrewsbury 2 Pompey 0

The hosts should have added a third goal early in the second half, but Yado Mambo headed over from just a couple of yards out after meeting Taylor’s fine free-kick.

The heavens then opened – not that the heavy hail bothered Jed Wallace, who surged forward from inside his own half and saw a shot deflected wide on 53 minutes.

He had another opportunity moments later, but this time his angled drive was comfortable for Shrews keeper Chris Weale.

But any hopes of the Blues getting back into the game appeared to be dashed when Shrewsbury added a third on 56 minutes.

Again there was a hint of fortune about the goal, with Asante’s drive catching another big deflection to deceive Eastwood.

Whittingham made a change on the hour mark with Adam Webster replacing Gabor Gyepes at the heart of Pompey’s defence.

But it was another teenager who reduced the deficit on 61 minutes. Weale failed to hold Wallace’s shot and HARRIS reacted quickest to squeeze home the loose ball.

Weale did better soon after, however, getting down quickly to his right to keep out Johnny Ertl’s fierce effort.

Pompey did pull another goal back on 78 minutes, though, when Wallace squared the ball for AGYEMANG to tap in from close range.

The Blues poured forward in the closing stages in desperate search of an equaliser, but they were unable to add another twist to a rollercoaster campaign.

Shrewsbury: Weale; Gayle, Goldson, Mambo, Jacobson (c); Wildig (Woods 85), Summerfield, McAllister, Mambo; Asante (McGinn 75), Bradshaw (Parry 88)
Goals: Goldson 6, Jacobson 37, Asante 56
Booked: Taylor
Subs not used: Anyon, Hurst, Purdie,Richards

Pompey: Eastwood; Moutaouakil (Maloney 75), Sodje, Gyepes (Webster 60), Butler; Wallace, Ertl (c), Racon, Cooper; Harris, Agyemang
Goals: Harris 61, Agyemang 78
Subs not used: Smith, Awford, Walker, Akinde, Connolly

Referee: Trevor Kettle

Attendance: 8,021 (1,620 Pompey fans)

Advertisement block