Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Pompey 0 Charlton 3

20 July 2013

Blues beaten by Championship opposition

Pompey’s first Fratton fixture of the season ended in a 3-0 defeat to Charlton.

There were not too many chances created throughout a leisurely encounter, but the visitors’ Championship quality ultimately shone through.

Bradley Pritchard headed home the opener before the break, while Callum Harriott added a second after it and Yann Kermorgant completed the scoring from the spot.

John Sullivan played in goal against his former club – one of seven starters making their Fratton Park debut.

There was the usual slow start associated with a pre-season friendly played on a scorching summer’s day.

But Charlton should have broken the deadlock on 10 minutes after Souleymane Coulibaly robbed Sonny Bradley and teed-up Callum Harriott.

The winger was a few yards out with just Sullivan to beat, but somehow managed to screw his shot wide.

Jed Wallace did well at the other end, getting free down the right and sending in a teasing cross, but there was nobody there to meet it in the box.

The teenager then took a heavy first touch on the edge of the box and was beaten to the ball by Addicks keeper Ben Hamer.

But the crowd were largely forced to make their own entertainment, with Charlton fans lighting a flare in the Milton End.

Suddenly, though, there was a flurry of chances and the first saw the visitors break the deadlock.

Cedric Evina swung a superb cross into the box from wide on the left and Pritchard arrived at the far post to nod home.

Charlton went close to doubling their advantage soon after, but Sullivan did well to deny Harriott with his feet.

Hamer then made a save at the other end, although the keeper was not overly troubled by Wallace’s scuffed shot.

Coulibaly had the ball in the net on 40 minutes, but the Charlton striker had just mis-timed his run and the linesman raised his flag.

Half Time: Pompey 0 Charlton 1

Chances were thin on the ground at the start of the second half, despite Pompey winning a few set-pieces.

But it was Charlton who scored from a free-kick on 67 minutes. The Blues were unable to properly clear Johnnie Jackson’s cross and Harriott drilled the ball home from the edge of the box.

Guy Whittingham immediately made three changes, with Patrick Agyemang, Ryan Bird and Ricky Holmes replacing David Connolly, Tom Craddock and Andy Barcham.

Ashley Harris and Adam Webster soon followed as Romain Padovani and Sonny Bradley made way.

Those substitutions failed to turn the tide, however, and Kermorgant added an Addicks third from the penalty spot after Webster had tripped Chris Solly in the box.

Pompey (4-4-2): Sullivan; East, Devera, Bradley (Webster 72), Butler; Wallace, Ertl (c), Padovani (Harris 72), Barcham (Holmes 67); Craddock (Bird 67), Connolly (Agyemang 67)
Booked: Wallace
Subs not used: Smith, Warren

Charlton (4-1-4-1): Hamer; Solly (Stephens 77), Morrison (Cort 82), Dervite (Wood 82), Evina; Gower (Cousins 72); Cook (Kermorgant 72), Pritchard (Green 72), Jackson (c) (Wilson 77), Harriott (Wiggins 77); Coulibaly (Hollands 82)
Goals: Pritchard 34, Harriott 67, Kermorgant (pen) 76
Subs not used: Button, Hughes

Referee: Keith Stroud

Attendance: 8,557 (599 Charlton fans)

Advertisement block