Blues will use facilities at Langstone sports campus this season
Portsmouth Football Club will be training in the city next season after signing a one-year deal to use the University of Portsmouth's pitches and facilities at its Langstone sports campus, which is currently undergoing a £1m revamp.
As well as training there, the club's Academy side has the potential to play their home fixtures at the site.
Pompey CEO Mark Catlin said: "This is fantastic news for the club. We are delighted we have been able to agree a deal to use such a high-quality training facility in the city and we are sure fans will be equally pleased that the team now has a training base in Portsmouth.
“The university and the club are both high profile organisations which can showcase the city at its best and we look forward to working with them.”
Blues boss Guy Whittingham added: “This is tremendous news. As a professional football club it is vital to ensure we have the set-up to bring the best out of the players and I am sure we will now have access to training facilities most clubs would aspire to.
“My coaching team and I have visited the facility at Langstone several times now and we have been hugely impressed.”
Facilities at the Langstone Campus include:
- Floodlit FIFA-Certified full size rugby and football 3G pitch
- Two fenced Astroturf 5-a-side pitches
- Fully drained, irrigated and levelled grass 1st XI football pitch with permanent crowd barrier and hard standing
- Full size 9v9 grass football pitch
- Four grass football pitches
- Two small sided football pitches
- Numerous grass training grids
- Fully refurbished changing block and five large other changing rooms
Work on preparing the facility for the club has begun and it is anticipated training will commence there in around four weeks time.