Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Pompey Progress In FA Youth Cup

19 November 2013

Blues beat Barton to set up south coast derby

Lewis Horsburgh scored the only goal of the game as Pompey Academy beat Barton at Fratton Park to set up an FA Youth Cup clash with Southampton.

The striker netted a neat finish early on, with first team stars Patrick Agyemang and Jed Wallace watching from the south stand.

The hosts probably should have won by a more convincing scoreline, bus missed several good opportunities to extend their lead.

It was Barton who were first to threaten, although Xavi Sweeney’s drive from distance failed to test Alex Bass as it soared over the crossbar.

But the Blues broke the deadlock on seven minutes when Chad Field sent in a cross from the left and HORSBURGH darted in at the near post to deftly flick the ball home.

Pompey almost doubled their advantage, but Bradley Tarbuck could only scuff a shot into the arms of visiting keeper Aaron Fulton after latching onto Horsburgh’s through ball.

Jae Heon Kim then drilled a 20-yard effort inches past the post as the Blues continued to push forward.

But Barton were putting up a sterner test than Moneyfields managed in the first round and Bass was called into action to deny Charlie Reinsford.

The dangerous Kim went close to increasing Pompey’s lead on 29 minutes, however, only to see his shot deflected onto the post by Fulton.

There were not too many other chances as the half began to wind down, although James Granger did fire narrowly wide following a lovely bit of skill from Field on the edge of the box.

Half Time: Pompey 1 Barton 0

Pompey started the second half brightly and Tarbuck let fly with a shot from distance that crept inches past the post.

Horsburgh was next to try his luck from long-range, although his effort on 53 minutes was comfortable for Fulton.

The Blues were keen to have the tie over with inside 90 minutes, but were being thwarted in their attempts to grab a second goal.

First Kim snatched at a shot despite being left in acres of space and then Field saw his close-range effort cleared off the line by Alex Condon.

There was not too much cause for concern at the other end, although Bass had to keep out Condon’s header to keep Pompey’s lead intact.

The Blues almost wrapped the tie up on 82 minutes following a fine passing move, but an unmarked Brandon Joseph-Buadi could not find the target after meeting Fahad Rwakarambwe’s cross.

Tarbuck also had a free-kick saved late on, but Pompey had done enough to book their place in the third round and a mouth-watering derby at St Mary’s.

Pompey (4-2-3-1): Bass; Haunstrup, Field, Whatmough (c), Medway; Close, Granger; Gill (Rwakarambwe 76), Tarbuck, Kim; Horsburgh (Joseph-Buadi 58)
Goals: Horsburgh 7
Booked: Tarbuck
Subs not used: Smart, Davis, Nilsen

Barton (4-1-4-1): Fulton; Condon, Norman (c), O’Neill, Reinsford; Sweeney; Dawudo (Gardner 63), Large, Burke (Woodcock 70), Johnson; Caglar
Subs not used: D’Souza, Madziya, Glove

Referee: Gregory Read

Attendance: 379

Photo: Mick Young

Advertisement block