Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


2 August 2014

Hollands nets in pre-season defeat

The same could not be said for Tal Ben Haim, however, who was roundly booed every time he touched the ball.

There were a couple of familiar faces in the visitors’ line-up and goalkeeper Stephen Henderson was given a welcome reception on his return to Fratton Park.

Paul Jones ensured it was a narrow Blues defeat when he saved Johnnie Jackson’s spot-kick after the interval.

All the goals arrived in a six-minute first half period, as Danny Hollands’ header was sandwiched between Igor Vetokele and George Tucudean strikes.

Pompey ended their pre-season campaign with a 2-1 home defeat to Championship Charlton.

It was Pompey who were first to threaten, with Ryan Bird heading just wide from Adam Webster’s pin-point cross.

Webster then had an opportunity of his own, but could not guide his header on target after meeting a Jed Wallace free-kick.

There had not been too many chances for the crowd to cheer, but that soon changed with a breathless spell of three goals in quick succession.

But Pompey hit back moments later, with HOLLANDS stooping to head home from virtually on the line after Wallace’s cross had been sent back across goal by Ben Chorley.

It was Charlton who broke the deadlock on 19 minutes when Vetokele hammered an unstoppable shot past Michael Poke from the edge of the box.

The rest of the half passed by almost incident free, although Vetokele missed a good chance to extend Charlton’s lead when he swiped at thin air.

There was almost a second equaliser by the hosts immediately after, but Henderson made a fine stop to keep out James Dunne’s well-struck effort.

The Addicks soon restored their advantage, however, as Tucudean was left in too much space to drive home a fine finish.

Pompey 1 Charlton 2 Half Time:

And the Blues won a free-kick 20 yards out in stoppage-time, but Henderson was able to claim Nicky Shorey’s curling effort.

But it was Hollands who went close for the hosts on 66 minutes when he crashed a shot against the crossbar.

Pompey made four changes moments later, as Alex Wynter, Joe Devera, Nigel Atangana and Miles Storey all entered the fray.

Jackson stepped up to take it, but his penalty was poor and Jones made a comfortable save low to his left.

The match returned to life on the hour mark, though, when Dunne brought down Vetokele and referee James Linington pointed to the spot.

But neither keeper was given much to do once the play restarted thanks to a lack of creativity at both ends.

Andy Awford made just one switch at the break as Jones replaced Poke between the sticks.
Poke (Jones 46); Webster (Wynter 63), Chorley (c) (Devera 63), Whatmough (Ertl 82), Shorey (Butler 79); Dunne, Hollands (Awford 79); Wallace (Atangana 63), Westcarr, Barcham (Maloney 79); Bird (Storey 63) Pompey (4-2-3-1):

Awford then made his final changes as Dan Butler, Nick Awford, Jack Maloney and Johnny Ertl were all given a run out for the closing stages.

At the other end, Devera made a brave, crunching challenge to prevent Addicks substitute Simon Church racing through on goal.
Phillips, Gomez, Morrison, Nego, Harriott, Ansah Subs not used:
Vetokele 19, Tucudean 25 Goals:
Henderson; Solly, Ben Haim, Bikey, Wiggins; Gudmundsson (Fox 72), Jackson (Wilson 63), Buyens, Cousins; Tucudean (Piggott 77), Vetokele (Church 77) Charlton (4-4-2):

Hollands 23 Goals: 3,912 (362 away fans)Attendance:

James Linington Referee:

Advertisement block