Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


27 August 2014


Pompey’s Capital One Cup adventure was ended at the second round stage, as Stoke eased to victory at the Britannia Stadium. 

Jonathan Walters scored a goal in each half, while Peter Crouch grabbed a late third to ensure it was the Premier League side who progressed. 

Paul Jones produced a sublime display in goal for an inexperienced Blues 11, making a string of fine saves to halt the Potters’ charge. 

Andy Awford made eight changes to the side that won at Oxford in the league on Saturday. 

Goalkeeper Jones, defender Joe Devera and midfielder Ricky Holmes were the only players to keep their place. 

Johnny Ertl made his first appearance of the season alongside full debutant Nick Awford in midfield. 

Former Blues striker Crouch started for the hosts and had the first opportunity on seven minutes when he headed Marc Muniesa’s cross narrowly wide. 

Stoke enjoyed plenty of possession in the opening stages without really threatening Jones’ goal. 

But they broke the deadlock on 16 minutes as Walters got in front of Jones to prod home Muniesa’s left-wing cross. 

The keeper made a fine double save to prevent the Potters from doubling their advantage moments later, getting down quickly to deny first Victor Moses and then Crouch at point-blank range. 

And Jones was called into action again on 22 minutes when Walters rose highest in the box to meet Moses’ cross. 

The Blues were struggling to contain their top-flight opponents and Crouch was next to go close when he beat the offside trap and volleyed over. 

There was not too much happening at the other end of the pitch, although Andy Barcham enjoyed a rare foray forward before eventually being crowded out. 

Meanwhile, Stoke were still threatening and Moses beat two defenders before firing narrowly wide on 32 minutes. 

Pompey were then forced into a substitution, as Jack Whatmough hobbled off to be replaced by Paul Robinson. 

The visitors finally had their first shot just before the break, although Jed Wallace’s long-range effort sailed well wide. 

But it was Stoke who finished the half with a flourish as Jones had to tip over Charlie Adam’s speculative strike from distance. 

The keeper did even better from the resulting corner, adjusting quickly after Robert Huth’s drive caught a huge deflection. 

Half Time: Stoke 1 Pompey 0 

For all of Stoke’s dominance, they only had a one-goal lead to show for their efforts at the interval. 

But that changed less than two minutes after the restart as Moses got free down the left and swung in a low cross for Walters to convert from close range. 

Jones continued his star showing soon after, however, by brilliantly denying Walters his hat-trick before diving bravely at the feet of Crouch. 

The ex-Blues man really should have strengthened the Potters’ advantage further, but sent two headers wide and another comfortably into Jones’ arms. 

And Pompey’s keeper then kept out Adam’s angled drive as he continued to single-handedly frustrate the opposition. 

It had been a quiet evening for Stoke keeper Jack Butland, but he was called into action on 63 minutes to tip over Holmes’ goal-bound effort. 

Danny Hollands and Miles Storey were brought on for the closing stages to freshen up the home side. 

But the Blues were unable to find a route back into the game and Crouch added a late third for the hosts when he guided a header past Jones' grasp. 

Stoke (4-2-3-1): Butland; Wilkinson, Shawcross (c), Huth, Muniesa; Cameron (Sidwell 38), Adam; Odemwingie (Shenton 81), Walters, Moses (Arnautovic 64); Crouch 
Goals: Walters 16, 47, Crouch 90 
Booked: Adam 
Subs not used: Sorensen, Teixeira, Wilson, Diouf 

Pompey (4-1-4-1): Jones; Webster (Hollands 64), Devera, Whatmough (Robinson 34), Butler; Ertl (c); Barcham (Storey 71), Awford, Wallace, Holmes; Taylor 
Subs not used: Brezovan, Close, Atangana, Westcarr 

Referee: Andy D’Urso 

Attendance: 10,312 (894 Pompey fans)

Advertisement block