Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


16 December 2014

Strong Blues side are 4-1 victors

An experienced Pompey Reserves side eased to victory against their youthful Leyton Orient counterparts at the Matchroom Stadium.

Nigel Atangana, Johnny Ertl, Andy Barcham and Danny East were all on target in the Final Third Development League clash in east London.

Pompey set the tone in the opening stages when Nick Awford’s shot from the left was turned against the post by Sam Sargent.

But it was a poor clearance by the goalkeeper that gifted the Blues a goal on seven minutes, with ATANGANA collecting the ball, taking one step and hammering home.

Sargent made amends moments later, though, making a fine save from Ben Close to stop the visitors from doubling their advantage.

Atangana thought he had scored a second when he converted Jed Wallace’s cross, but the linesman had already flagged for offside.

The Frenchman then met Ricky Holmes’ cross with an acrobatic over-head effort that shaved the post.

Pompey wasted several other opportunities to forge further ahead and were made to pay for their profligacy midway through the first half.

Freddy Moncur teed-up Ayomide Adeboyojo to shoot past Michael Poke and draw Leyton Orient level against the run of play.

The hosts were taking heart from their opponents’ wastefulness and Kane Adams’ low ball into the box was just out of reach for two of his team-mates.

But it was still the Blues looking more threatening and Bradley Tarbuck saw his header pushed behind by Sargent just before the break.

Half Time: Leyton Orient 1 Pompey 1

Pompey picked up where they left off after the interval – on the attack, with Wallace firing narrowly wide.

But they did regain the lead moments later when a corner was headed home by substitute ERTL at the near post.

Joe Devera had a nervy moment at the other end, losing possession on the halfway line before recovering well to halt a dangerous counter-attack.

The action soon switched back up the other end of the pitch and Wallace thought his effort had crossed the line before it was clawed back by Sargent, before Awford saw his shot tipped around the post by the over-worked Orient keeper.

But the Blues did forge further ahead on 67 minutes when substitutes East and BARCHAM combined, with the former crossing for the latter to convert.

Adam Webster did well to avert the danger during a rare attack from the hosts, clearing the ball before the lurking Josh Koroma could pounce.

Pompey then wrapped up a comprehensive victory on 79 minutes, with Barcham returning the favour by setting up EAST to score.

They almost grabbed a late fifth following a good run and cross by Webster, but Tarbuck’s stinging shot was saved.

Leyton Orient: Sargent; Nortey, Humphrey, Nikolau, Adams (Alderson 60); Gnahore (Judd 72), Moncur, Agyemang, Oladipo; Owusu (Koroma 60), Adeboyejo
Subs not used: Clark, Pollock

Pompey: Poke; Devera, Webster, Whatmough (Ertl 46), Shorey; Close, Awford (East 65); Wallace (Barcham 54), Atangana, R.Holmes; Tarbuck

Referee: Elliot Kaye

Advertisement block