Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


11 October 2014


Paul Robinson’s first Pompey goal helped rescue a point at home to Mansfield. 

Neither side looked particularly threatening before the break, but Simon Heslop fired the visitors ahead just seconds after it. 

That brought about a reaction from the Blues and Atangana teed-up Robinson to equalise. 

Pompey were the more ambitious side in the closing stages, but were unable to find a second goal. 

Andy Awford made two changes from the side that drew at York in the last league encounter. 

Ryan Taylor came in for Craig Westcarr up front, while Johnny Ertl replaced the injured Jack Whatmough at the back. 

Pompey had a couple of early crosses headed clear, but there was not much to entertain the crowd throughout the first half. 

Rakish Bingham looked the most dangerous player for the opposition and beat some weak challenges before firing straight at Paul Jones. 

The Stags striker then diverted a Heslop cross straight into the arms of the Blues’ goalkeeper. 

Fratton Park had fallen into a slumber, although there a few laughs when Michael Drennan and Jed Wallace collided in the centre of the park. 

Ryan Taylor was first to threaten for Pompey on 26 minutes, but a big deflection took the pace off his shot and ensured a simple save for Sascha Studer in the Stags goal. 

Neither keeper had much to do, however, with both sides relying on efforts from distance. 

Danny Hollands saw his attempt blocked, while Bingham sent a fierce volley flying narrowly past the post. 

The only other noteworthy incident came just before the break when Matt Rhead was booked for sending Ertl flying into the advertising hoardings. 

Half Time: Pompey 0 Mansfield 0 

Pompey were caught cold at the start of the second half as Heslop collected the ball and arrowed a low shot straight into the bottom corner with less than a minute played. 

The hosts tried to move through the gears and apply some pressure, but were met by a resolute Mansfield back-line. 

And they were almost caught on the break on 59 minutes as the impressive Bingham stung Jones’ fingertips. 

The keeper denied the same player with an even better stop moments later, although referee Stuart Attwell awarded a goal-kick. 

At the other end, Taylor could not quite connect with Wallace’s low cross before the striker scooped an effort wide. 

Awford made a double switch on 68 minutes as Drennan and Ertl made way for Patrick Agyemang and Atangana. 

The latter made an immediate impact to set-up Pompey’s equaliser, bursting into the box and cutting the ball back for ROBINSON to slot home. 

That lifted the crowd, who immediately tried to roar their team on to find a winner. 

But the Stags went close to regaining their advantage on 76 minutes, with Jones getting down quickly to palm Bingham’s low strike to safety. 

Hollands had an effort saved by Studer, while Wallace was providing some dangerous cross as the Blues went back on the attack. 

Miles Storey replaced Taylor for the final few minutes to add some fresh legs to Pompey’s front-line. 

But he was unable to inspire the Blues to find a winner as Mansfield saw out six minutes of stoppage-time to ensure a share of the spoils. 

Pompey (3-5-2): Jones; Devera, Robinson, Ertl (c) (Atangana 68); Wynter, Wallace, Dunne, Hollands, Shorey; Drennan (Agyemang 68), Taylor (Storey 85) 
Goals: Robinson 70 
Booked: Dunne 
Subs not used: Poke, Butler, Holmes, Westcarr 

Mansfield (3-5-2): Studer; Sutton, Sendles-White, Riley; Beevers, Heslop (Clements 87), Bell (Taylor 79), McGuire (c), Freeman; Bingham, Rhead (Palmer 58) 
Goals: Heslop 46 
Booked: Rhead, Riley 
Subs not used: Marsden, Thomas, Lambe, Fisher 

Referee: Stuart Attwell 

Attendance: 15,585 (397 away fans)

Advertisement block