Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


25 October 2014


Pompey were undone by a freak goal as Shrewsbury fought from behind to secure victory at Greenhous Meadow. 

The visitors had taken an early lead through Jed Wallace’s confidently-taken penalty following a handball in the box. 

But James Wesolowski soon equalised and the Shrews – who have dropped just two points at home this season – grabbed a second half winner when Connor Goldson’s cross drifted into the net. 

Andy Awford stuck with the same side that beat Stevenage at Fratton Park earlier in the week. 

Pompey made a strong start and it took a stunning save to stop them forging ahead with less than a minute on the clock. 

Paul Robinson met Ricky Holmes’ cross and looked like he would convert from close range, only for Shrewsbury keeper Jayson Leutwiler to somehow claw the ball to safety. 

But the Blues did not have to wait much longer to score, with Mickey Demetriou literally handing them the advantage. 

The wing-back needlessly stuck his arm up to block Craig Westcarr’s corner and referee Dean Whitestone immediately pointed to the spot. 

WALLACE stepped up to take the penalty and emphatically slammed it past Leutwiler to send the large travelling contingent wild with delight. 

The hosts tried to hit back, but James Dunne made a brave block to stop Wesolowski converting a corner. 

Pompey failed to properly deal with another set-piece on 13 minutes, however, and Wesolowski drove the loose ball through a sea of bodies and into the net. 

But such a frantic start did not herald a half full of clear-cut chances, with the game soon losing much of its zip. 

Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro should have provided the home fans with a boost on 38 minutes, only to glance Jack Grimmer’s cross wide from close range. 

And that was the closest either side came to securing an interval lead as the half limped to a conclusion. 

Half Time: Shrewsbury 1 Pompey 1 

Pompey began the second half as they had the first – by mounting an attack. 

Westcarr wasted a decent opportunity by mis-controlling the ball before Dunne fizzed a low effort narrowly past the post. 

Wallace then drew a regulation save from Leutwiler at the goalkeeper’s near post, but it was Shrewsbury who were controlling possession. 

The Blues seemed happy to let their opponents keep hold of the ball and soak up any pressure, however, with Paul Jones being well protected. 

Pompey’s keeper was called into action on 63 minutes, though, parrying clear Bobby Grant’s free-kick before Robinson reacted quickest to block the follow-up. 

Awford had made his first substitution a few moments earlier, freshening up his front-line by replacing Westcarr with Ryan Taylor. 

Another switch followed on 70 minutes as the Blues sacrificed a striker, with Storey making way for Nigel Atangana. 

But they were dealt a huge blow soon after when Goldson’s attempted cross instead looped over Jones, grazed the underside of the crossbar and nestled in the net. 

Awford responded by calling for another forward from the bench and Patrick Agyemang came on for Holmes. 

But Pompey almost fell further behind on 80 minutes, with the unmarked Akpa Akpro contriving to blaze high over the bar. 

And they were unable to find a late equaliser as the hosts held on to claim all three points. 

Shrewsbury (3-5-2): Leutwiler; Goldson (c), Grandison, Knight-Percival; Grimmer, Grant (Lawrence 74), Woods, Wesolowski (Clark 77), Demetriou; Akpa Akpro, Collins (Mangan 70) 

Goals: Wesolowski 13, Goldson 72 

Subs not used: Halstead, Ellis, Griffith, Vernon 

Pompey (4-4-2): Jones; Devera, Robinson, Chorley (c), Shorey; Wallace, Dunne, Hollands, Holmes (Agyemang 79); Storey (Atangana 70), Westcarr (Taylor 59) 

Goals: Wallace 3 (pen) 

Booked: Dunne, Robinson 

Subs not used: Poke, Ertl, Butler, Barcham 

Referee: Dean Whitestone 

Attendance: 5,515 (835 Pompey fans)

Advertisement block