Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


20 September 2014


Johnny Ertl netted his first Fratton goal as Pompey came from behind to draw with high-flying Wycombe. 

The Austrian came off the bench to comprehensively convert a corner and ensure a share of the spoils. 

Wanderers had earlier taken the lead through Sam Wood’s finish in a game where both sides created plenty of openings. 

Andy Awford stuck with the same side that saw off Dagenham & Redbridge during the week, meaning that Patrick Agyemang and Craig Westcarr led the line in a 3-5-2 formation. 

The visitors were first to threaten when Danny Rowe’s drive from distance was deflected narrowly wide. 

But the Blues were soon on the attack and Alfie Mawson sliced Dan Butler’s cross inches past the post. 

Jed Wallace then sent a dangerous low cross into the box, but none of his team-mates were there to convert it. 

The game had started at a frantic pace and Agyemang could not quite tee-up James Dunne before a quick break forced Joe Devera to make a vital clearance. 

Peter Murphy then went close to breaking the deadlock for the visitors on 18 minutes. The midfielder met Rowe’s cross with a bullet header that only just cleared the crossbar. 

It was end-to-end stuff and Aaron Pierre did well to stop Westcarr latching on to a long ball forward, while Paul Jones got down to deny Matt McClure at the other end. 

But the Blues were inches away from breaking the deadlock on 36 minutes following some great build-up play from Agyemang and Westcarr. 

The latter’s neat flick sent Butler away down the left, but his low cross was just out of reach for both Dunne and Wallace. 

Wycombe twice went close themselves late in the first half, however, with Jones reacting brilliantly after McClure’s effort had caught a deflection. 

Murphy tried to convert the loose ball, but Paul Robinson was well-placed to clear off the line. 

Pompey then broke straight up the other end where a stretching Westcarr could only divert Wallace’s cross over the bar. 

Half Time: Pompey 0 Wycombe 0 

Awford made a defensive switch at the start of the second half, with Jack Whatmough making way for Ertl. 

But he could not prevent the Chairboys from opening the scoring just five minutes after the restart when Murphy fired in a shot and Wood instinctively diverted it on target. 

They should really have increased their advantage moments later, with McClure firing over from close range after collecting Sido Jombati’s incisive pass. 

Dunne then went close to levelling at the other end, firing in a ferocious 30-yard effort that rattled the crossbar. 

Awford made his second switch on the hour mark, with Miles Storey replacing Agyemang up front. 

But it was Devera who should have levelled on 66 minutes after Matt Ingram had pushed behind Wallace’s angled effort. 

The defender was well-placed to score after Robinson had flicked on Westcarr’s corner, but could only send the ball high over the top. 

Westcarr then had a chance of his own, but also cleared the crossbar after collecting Alex Wynter’s cut-back. 

ERTL showed them how it should be done on 70 minutes, however, meeting Butler’s corner and lashing the ball into the roof of the net. 

And Ingram then pushed clear Wallace’s low shot before recovering quickly to grab the loose ball as Westcarr chased it down. 

Andy Barcham was brought on for the final few moments as Pompey chased a winner. 

But the visitors – eager to waste time whenever they could – held on through six minutes of stoppage-time to secure a point. 

Pompey (3-5-2): Jones; Devera, Robinson, Whatmough (Ertl 46); Wynter, Dunne, Wallace, Hollands (c), Butler; Agyemang (Storey 60), Westcarr (Barcham 85) 
Goals: Ertl 70 
Booked: Whatmough, Robinson, Dunne 
Subs not used: Poke, Webster, Shorey, Close 

Wycombe (4-3-2-1): Ingram; Jombati, Mawson, Pierre, Jacobson; Scowen, Rowe, Murphy; Wood, Hayes (c) (Kretzschmar 87); McClure (Cowan-Hall 77) 
Goals: Wood 50 
Booked: Pierre, Scowen, Hayes 
Subs not used: Richardson, Lewis, Bloomfield, Walker, Holloway 

Referee: Gary Sutton 

Attendance: 16,171 (729 away fans)

Advertisement block