Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


9 September 2014

Storey, Barcham and Close net in Blues victory

Pompey Reserves got their Final Third Development League campaign off to a great start with a 3-2 victory against Peterborough.

Miles Storey, Andy Barcham and Ben Close were all on target before the Posh staged a late fightback.

The Blues fielded a mixture of youth and experience at their opponents’ Nene Park training complex.

Pompey dominated the first half and Barcham threatened early on with a cross that somehow managed to evade the advancing cavalry.

Patrick Agyemang was proving a handful and did well to shield the ball from a defender before teeing-up Storey, who fired just past the post.

The Blues were looking to turn their pressure into goals and Adam Webster was next to go close, heading wide from a Close corner.

Posh keeper Aidan Grant then used his legs to deny Jack Maloney before saving at the feet of Agyemang.

He then had to turn away Barcham’s shot at the near post as Pompey continued to pour forward in search of a goal.

But the visitors took a deserved lead on 31 minutes, with STOREY rolling a penalty to Grant’s right after his shot had been handled by Tom Palmer.

Agyemang should have doubled the advantage just before the break but, having rounded the keeper, his effort was hacked off the line.

Half Time: Peterborough 0 Pompey 1

Pompey continued to push forward in the second half and Storey waltzed past three defenders before Grant once again proved the hosts’ saviour.

The forward then teed-up Barcham for another opportunity, but the winger’s goal-bound effort was blocked.

But the Blues did extend their advantage on 67 minutes when BARCHAM converted Close’s free-kick, despite Peterborough’s protests that referee Nathan Walker had not blown his whistle.

And they forged further ahead just seconds later, with CLOSE collecting Agyemang’s pass and emphatically firing home.

Pompey appeared to be cruising, but the Posh suddenly sprung to life in the closing stages.

McCann wasted a great chance to score after the hosts had been awarded a penalty, with his audacious chipped effort clearing the crossbar.

But substitute Jack Field did reduce the deficit on 83 minutes, appearing from nowhere to roll the ball past Michael Poke.

Pompey’s keeper then got a hand to McCann’s rasping drive, although it was not enough to keep it out of the net.

That ensured a nervy finale, but Peterborough were unable to find an equaliser as the Blues back-line held firm.

Peterborough: Grant, Ward, Marshall, Palmer, Luto, McEvoy, McCann, Hood, da Silva (Trialist 60), Anderson, Phillips (Friend 60)

Pompey: Poke; Davis, Webster, Field, Butler (Haunstrup 61); Maloney, Granger (Gill 72), Close, Barcham; Storey (Chaplin 61), Agyemang (c)
Sub not used: Bass

Referee: Nathan Walker

Pompey coach Alan McLoughlin said: "We switched off a bit after going 3-0 up, but overall I'm delighted with the result and the performance.

"At times we were guilty of trying to walk the ball into the net, but on another day we might have scored eight or nine."

Advertisement block