Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


2 September 2014

Blues progress in Johnstone's Paint Trophy

Referee Kevin Johnson gave both sets of fans a first live glimpse of the vanishing spray – which the Football League are trialling in the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy – following a challenge by James Dunne that saw the midfielder booked.

There was a big cheer from the crowd on 12 minutes – but it was not a goal they were celebrating.

Westcarr soon had an opportunity at the other end, although he headed Wynter’s fine cross narrowly over.

The hosts carved out an early opening, but Kieffer Moore was not quite able to divert Ajay Leitch-Smith’s effort on target.

Alex Wynter returned from injury to take his place at right-back, while there were also starts for Dan Butler, Nick Awford, Nigel Atangana, Miles Storey and skipper Johnny Ertl.

Andy Awford made six changes from the side beaten by Newport in the league on Saturday.

The former twice sent the ball into the bottom corner before the latter wrapped things up with an exquisite finish, despite Nathan Ralph’s late consolation.

Jed Wallace’s brace and a fine Craig Westcarr lob quickly made the travelling fans forget a dull opening 45 minutes.

Pompey produced a second half super show to cruise into the next round of the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy.

Both sides were looking capable going forward and Wallace went close to breaking the deadlock on 20 minutes, cutting inside from the right and drilling a low inches past the post.

The Blues were then dealt a blow just before the break when Atangana pulled up injured and was replaced by debutant Ben Close.

But Samuel Hoskins woke everyone up with his appeals for a penalty on 32 minutes. He thought Ertl had deliberately handled his cross, but referee Kevin Johnson disagreed.

There was not an abundance of goalscoring chances, however, and the tie began to fall a bit flat as the first half progressed.

And Yeovil should have scored in stoppage-time, but Moore glanced a header narrowly wide after meeting Samuel Foley’s corner.

Yeovil 0 Pompey 0 Half Time:

Foley tried his luck at the opposite end of the pitch, but his shot was straight at Paul Jones and comfortable for the Blues stopper.

Pompey enjoyed a couple of forays forward early in the second half, although nothing could be made of dangerous crosses from Storey and Butler.

The impressive Ertl then ensured Pompey kept their lead by making a superb treble challenge to keep the Glovers forward line at bay.

The youngster found WALLACE, who played a neat one-two with Westcarr before firing an unstoppable effort into the bottom corner.

Instead it was the visitors who forged ahead on 55 minutes, thanks to a move started by Awford.

Awford left the pitch as the Blues made their second switch on 68 minutes, with Andy Barcham replacing him.

It got even better for the visitors just a minute later as Storey fed WESTCARR and the striker sent a neat lob over Glovers keeper Christopher Weale and into the net.

But it was WALLACE who doubled the advantage soon after, latching onto Wynter’s incisive pass and coolly sliding the ball home.
Weale; Moloney, Martin (c), Nugent, Smith; Leitch-Smith, Twumasi (Price 56), Foley, Ralph; Hoskins (Dawson 71); Moore (Hayter 46) Yeovil (4-4-1-1):

Ralph gave the hosts some hope when he rifled home a powerful finish from the edge of the box on 84 minutes, but Pompey comfortably held on to book their place in the second round.
Ralph 84 Goals:

Krysiak, Brooks Subs not used:
Martin Booked:
Jones; Wynter, Ertl (c), Robinson, Butler; Awford (Barcham 68), Dunne (Agyemang 80), Atangana (Close 43); Wallace, Westcarr, Storey Pompey (4-3-3): 2,787 (692 Pompey fans)Attendance:

Kevin Johnson Referee:

Poke, Webster Subs not used:
Dunne, Awford, Wynter Booked:
Wallace 55, 73, Westcarr 74 Goals:

Advertisement block