Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


3 April 2015

Boss frustrated by Carlisle draw

It was a moment of heartache felt by every one of the 789 Blues fans who had made the long journey up to Carlisle.

Pompey were 2-1 ahead and looked comfortable at Brunton Park as the game entered stoppage-time.

Jed Wallace netted a stunner to scrub out Kyle Dempsey’s early opener before teeing-up Matt Tubbs for a simple finish.

But Charlie Wyke brought the visitors back down to earth with a bump by levelling and there was barely enough time to restart the game before referee Nigel Miller blew the final whistle.

And Andy Awford was left just as deflated as the players and supporters after coming so close to an away triumph.

The Blues boss said: “We thoroughly deserved to win the game, but you don’t always get what you deserve in life.

“After going behind early we put in a very good performance and we should have taken all three points.

“They caught us on the back foot by going ahead, but we’ve dominated the match after that and were disappointed not to score more.

“Jed grabed a magnificent goal. We needed something to get us going and he provided that.

“He had a big part in both goals, while Dan Butler also played a great ball for the second one.

“We maybe should have put the game to bed earlier because we had plenty of chances, especially in the second half.

“But the players have given their all for this football club and the support was magnificent as well.

“To bring so many fans up on a bank holiday was incredible and it’s just a shame we couldn’t send them home even happier.

“Now we’ll come in on Saturday and Sunday, work hard and look to go again when we play Plymouth on Monday.”

Awford was particularly disappointed that Carlisle’s leveller came in the fifth minute of time added on, despite the fourth official signalling just four.

He said: “We were over what was stated when the goalkeeper kicked the ball forward and I thought he would blow up then.

“But we can’t use that as an excuse because we still need to do better to see the game out.”

Pompey were forced into two substitutions at Brunton Park, with Nyron Nosworthy replacing Ben Chorley at the start of the second half, only to make way for Adam Webster a few minutes later.

Awford said: “Ben had to come off with a sore back, so Nyron came on. But he got a big cut in the middle of his forehead and it was just taking too long to stitch.”

Advertisement block