Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


11 April 2015


Conor Chaplin’s first senior goal could not prevent Pompey from sliding to a 3-1 defeat at Morecambe.

The teenager came off the bench to confidently reduce the deficit after Alex Kenyon’s brace had given the hosts a commanding lead.

But Padraig Amond ensured there would be no share of the spoils when he added a third for the Shrimps in stoppage-time.

The result was put into perspective, however, by an injury to Josh Passley that saw him stretchered off after being knocked unconscious.

Andy Awford stuck with the same side that beat Plymouth on Easter Monday.

But it was the hosts who came tearing out of the blocks at the Globe Arena, creating a number of early chances.

Paul Jones did well to punch clear a swerving Laurence Wilson effort from the edge of the box on five minutes.

And moments later the keeper had to get down to hold on to a low Andy Fleming drive following a quick Morecambe break.

It was Pompey who came close to breaking the deadlock, however, when Dan Butler’s low corner found Ryan Taylor in the area.

He brought the ball under control and turned sharply, but was unable to force his shot through a packed six-yard box.

Instead it was the Shrimps who forged ahead on 10 minutes when Kenyon charged forward to head home a Jamie Devitt corner.

The visitors had an opportunity to immediately get back on level terms, although, in truth, Passley’s long-range effort was comfortable for Danny Ward.

Morecambe’s keeper then did well to preserve his side’s lead by intercepting a Taylor centre intended for the unmarked Matt Tubbs at the far post.

Pompey were still looking out of sorts, though, and a few shirtless fans made their own entertainment by doing a conga at the front of the away stand.

The pace of the game had dropped following a blistering start, with the Shrimps understandably less keen to commit men forward.

But the Blues did grow stronger just before the break and came close to levelling when Tubbs collected a superb Jed Wallace pass and fired in a low shot that Ward had to push wide.

Half Time: Morecambe 1 Pompey 0

Pompey had looked sluggish at the start of the game, but it was they who threatened immediately after the restart.

Passley did well down the right and picked out Wallace in the box, with his half-volley cleared from the line by a stretching Ryan Edwards.

It was the visitors who were looking the more adventurous side, although the Morecambe defence were doing well to protect Ward.

Awford made his first switch on 58 minutes with Chaplin replacing Wes Fogden in the hole behind Taylor.

Pompey were still struggling to create any clear-cut opportunities, although Butler did curl a free-kick onto the roof of the net after Tubbs had been fouled by Andy Parrish.

The Shrimps were more clinical, however, and after Jones had made one superb stop to keep out a Parrish header, Kenyon followed up to convert the rebound.

What was happening on the pitch then suddenly seemed less important when Passley suffered a sickening injury.

The defender was involved in a clash of heads that knocked him out and treated on the pitch for almost 10 minutes before being stretchered off to a standing ovation and replaced by Adam Webster.

CHAPLIN did his best to lighten the mood on 85 minutes by smashing a shot across Ward and into the net to open his senior goalscoring account.

The fourth official’s display of 11 added minutes then gave those in yellow hope that they could complete a comeback.

But that was extinguished when Amond struck a ferocious shot into the top corner to secure victory for Morecambe.

Morecambe (4-1-3-2): Ward; Beeley, Edwards, Parrish (c), Wilson; Kenyon; Wildig (Wright 68), Devitt (McGowan 86), Fleming; Amond, Mullin (Ellison 68)
Goals: Kenyon 10, 69, Amond 90+3
Subs not used: Arestidou, Bondswell, Drummond, Watson

Pompey (4-2-3-1): Jones; Passley (Webster 83), Nosworthy, Devera, Butler; Dunne, Atangana; Tubbs, Fogden (Chaplin 58), Wallace; Taylor (c) (Westcarr 74)
Goals: Chaplin 85
Subs not used: Cornell, Shorey, Hollands, Close

Referee: Stephen Martin

Attendance: 2,065 (652 Pompey fans)

Advertisement block