Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


3 February 2015

Blues collect point against Cherries

Nigel Atangana was on target as Pompey Reserves remained undefeated with a 1-1 draw against Bournemouth at Furze Lane.

The Frenchman responded after Elliott Ward had fired the visitors ahead.

Andy Barcham tried to get the game going after a slow start and twice saw dangerous balls into the box cut out.

The visitors responded with their first opportunity on 15 minutes, although Mason Walsh’s effort from distance flew well wide.

Conor Chaplin tried his luck at the other end of the pitch with a floated shot that narrowly cleared the crossbar.

Neither keeper had been tested as the first half reached its midway point, although Tom Craddock came close with a low drive that drifted past the post.

Alex Bass was finally called into action on 30 minutes when he denied Aly Coulibaly from close range.

But Bournemouth broke the deadlock from the resulting corner as Ward was afforded room to convert Sam Matthews’ cross.

Referee Andrew Dine was then forced off injured and replaced by one of his assistants, forcing Pompey goalkeeping coach Scott Bevan to run the line.

And the Blues grabbed an equaliser moments later when ATANGANA arrived to sweep home Jack Maloney’s cross.

They might even have gone ahead just before the break following more good work from Maloney, but Conor Chaplin was denied by Cherries keeper Ryan Allsop.

Half Time: Pompey 1 Bournemouth 1

Chaplin was sent clear by Barcham after the interval and was not amused when his charge was halted by a raised flag from Bevan.

The striker then latched onto another through ball from Atangana and found Craddock, whose low shot was kept out by Allsop.

Bournemouth were also looking dangerous, however, and it took a fine save from Bass to stop Josh O’Hanlon from restoring their advantage.

It was turning into an extremely open contest and Craddock was next to go close when he collected a lovely pass from Atangana and saw his cushioned header hacked from the line by Miles Addison.

Adam Webster’s stinging drive was then tipped over by Allsop before Chad Field just missed the target from the resulting corner.

But the visitors dominated the closing stages, although they were unable to turn that into any clear-cut chances.

And it was Pompey who had the final say when Chaplin won a free-kick in a dangerous area, but substitute James Granger failed to find the target.

Pompey: Bass; Nilsen, Field, Webster; Maloney, Atangana (Granger 61), Awford, Close (May 75), Barcham (Haunstrup 61); Craddock, Chaplin

Bournemouth: Allsop; Muleba, Carmichael (Kaye 70), Ward, Buckley; Matthews (Buthcer 54), Addison, A.Coulibaly, Walsh (Bassele 58); M.Coulibaly, O’Hanlon
Subs not used: Holmes, Lee

Referee: Andrew Dine

Advertisement block