Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


7 March 2015

Taylor on target as 10-man Stanley hold on

Ryan Taylor was on target as Pompey fought from behind to claim a point at Accrington.

Both goals arrived in an entertaining opening 45 minutes, with the hosts forging ahead through Josh Windass’ free-kick.

Taylor then took advantage of a goalkeeping mistake to head the Blues level just a few minutes later.

Anthony Barry’s second half red card gave Pompey hope of claiming all three points, but they could not break down a stubborn Stanley back-line.

Andy Awford made two changes from the side that were beaten at Northampton during the week.

James Dunne returned from a two-match ban to replace Nigel Atangana in midfield, while a fit-again Jack Whatmough came in for the suspended Ben Chorley at the back.

The first half contained plenty of chances, with both sides looking dangerous in attack as the action quickly switched from end to end.

February Player of the Month Jed Wallace slid a neat pass through to Matt Tubbs in the opening stages, but Matt Crooks was quickly across to clear the danger.

Moments later Tubbs brilliantly brought down a long pass from Danny Hollands, forcing Stanley stopper Scott Davies to race off his line and make a key save.

And Wallace then laid the ball off for the marauding Josh Passley, who was unable to beat Davies from a tight angle.

The hosts soon had a great chance of their own to break the deadlock, with Joe Devera getting back to halt Windass’ surge into the Blues box.

It was only a temporary reprieve for Pompey, however, as Accrington took the lead on 16 minutes after Dunne had been penalised for a foul on Kal Naismith.

Windass stepped up to take the free-kick and curled an unstoppable effort over the wall and past Paul Jones’ despairing dive.

The Blues immediately went on the attack and Hollands flicked Wallace’s corner goalwards, only for Naismith to head clear off the line.

They did equalise from the second corner, though, as Davies flapped at Butler’s cross and TAYLOR headed in from close range.

The chances kept on coming and it was Accrington who were next to create an opening when Naismith headed straight at Jones.

And they missed a great opportunity to restore their advantage on 30 minutes, with Andy Procter firing wide from close range after Dean Winnard had sent the ball into the box.

Pompey then received another let-off after Wallace lost possession, Piero Mingoia broke quickly, Windass delivered a low cross and Naismith somehow fired into the side netting from just a yard out.

The visitors almost went in ahead at the break, though, after Rob Atkinson had been booked for a crude challenge on Wallace.

Dunne ran over the free-kick, leaving Butler to smash a superb strike against the crossbar from 25 yards.

Half Time: Accrington 1 Pompey 1

The start of the second half was slow to get going with both sides easing themselves back into action.

But the hosts were dealt a huge blow when they were reduced to 10 men on 53 minutes.

Barry caught Hollands with a high boot and referee Rob Lewis decided it was dangerous enough to warrant a straight red.

Pompey tried to make their numerical advantage count and had a chance when Atkinson lost possession, but Wallace was unable to beat the final defender Crooks.

Accrington then failed to deal with a long ball forward, but Tubbs’ first touch took him wide and the opportunity disappeared.

Awford made a double switch on 70 minutes as Hollands and Passley made way for Wes Fogden and Andy Barcham.

It was Taylor who was next to go close for the Blues, though, when he cut inside and fired in a shot that did not overly trouble Davies.

They had an even better chance on 77 minutes when Wallace’s corner just evaded the diving Whatmough.

The ball instead found its way through to Paul Robinson, but with no time to adjust his feet, the skipper could only fire over.

Awford then made his final throw of the dice as Taylor made way for Craig Westcarr in Pompey’s attack.

He soon had an opportunity to become a hero when a corner led to a game of pinball in the crowded Stanley box.

But Westcarr could not manage to force his shot through a host of bodies, while Barcham’s follow-up effort was also blocked.

Pompey kept plugging away and won a host of corners as they chased a late winner, while Wallace hit a 25-yard strike against the crossbar in stoppage-time.

But Accrington held firm at the back to keep out the Blues and ensure a share of the spoils.
Accrington (3-5-2): Davies; Winnard, Crooks, Atkinson; Mingoia, Procter, Joyce (c), Barry, Naismith; Gornell, Windass
Goals: Windass 16
Sent off: Barry
Booked: Atkinson
Subs not used: Dawber, Liddle, Conneely, Bruna, Maguire, McCartan, Gilchrist

Pompey (3-5-2): Jones; Devera, Robinson (c), Whatmough; Passley (Barcham 70), Dunne, Wallace, Hollands (Fogden 70), Butler; Tubbs, Taylor (Westcarr 79)
Goals: Taylor 20
Booked: Robinson
Subs not used: Bass, Webster, Atangana, Chaplin

Referee: Rob Lewis

Attendance: 1,944 (624 away fans)

Advertisement block