Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


26 March 2015

Blues win 8-2 to reach cup semi-finals

Pompey Reserves romped into the semi-finals of the Final Third Development Cup with an 8-2 rout of Bristol City at Furze Lane.

Paul Hardyman’s side needed a win to progress through the group stage and did it convincingly.

That was despite skipper Nicky Shorey being the only player in the side who was not a teenager.

Conor Chaplin bagged a second half hat-trick, while Adam May netted twice and there were also goals from Fahad Rwakarambwe, Brandon Joseph-Buadi and Kaleem Haitham.

May had the first sniff of a chance on seven minutes after advancing into a threatening position, only to slip as he shaped to shoot.

But it was MAY who broke the deadlock soon after when he arrived at the far post to sweep home a cross from the left.

Chaplin then came close to doubling the advantage, but fired just past the post following good work from Rwakarambwe.

Instead the visitors found themselves on level terms as a clearance from Alex Bass went straight to Kaylem Patterson, who did well to send the ball over the out-of-position keeper and into the net.

But Pompey went straight up the other end to restore their advantage, with RWAKARAMBWE pouncing after Will Henry could only parry a shot.

The Robins keeper made sure his side did not fall further behind moments later, though, courtesy of a fine save from Calvin Davies’ piledriver.

But it was mix-up from the under pressure Henry that gifted the Blues a third goal. He played the ball straight to JOSEPH-BUADI, who shrugged off a challenge to score.

Chaplin then sent an effort narrowly wide, while at the other end Bass was called into action to deny George Kellow.

Pompey tightened their grip on the game on 41 minutes when HAITHAM collected a threaded pass from Chaplin and slotted past Henry.

And MAY added a fifth just before the break with a superb long-range effort from outside the box that gave the keeper no chance.

Half Time: Pompey 5 Bristol City 1

The hosts looked to attack straight from kick-off after the interval and Joseph-Buadi forced a decent stop from Henry.

But the Blues did forge further ahead on the hour mark when a corner from Shorey was turned home by CHAPLIN.

Pompey were in total control, while a beleaguered Bristol City were left frantically trying to limit the damage.

It was to no avail, however, as CHAPLIN fired in another goal following some good build-up play from Chad Field and Liam Sayers.

Bass, who had been a virtual bystander for most of the contest, had to remain alert to push away James Morton’s effort.

But the Blues grabbed their eighth of the afternoon when CHAPLIN collected a fine threaded pass from Shorey and completed his hat-trick.

The Robins kept plugging away, though, and had the final say late on as Ashley Harper grabbed a late consolation.

Pompey: Bass; Nilsen (Yates 46), Field, Haunstrup (Oxlade-Chamberlain 56); Rwakarambwe, Haitham, Shorey, May, Davies (Sayers 65); Chaplin, Joseph-Buadi

Bristol City: Henry; Selman, Parsons, Morton, Deadfield; Patterson, Harper, Kellow (Difford 61), Harris (Edwards 61); Andrews, Mattis

Referee: Antony Foster

Advertisement block