Skip to main content Skip to site footer


16 November 2016

Mayes and Scutt secure 2-0 FA Youth Cup win

Pompey Academy scored two late goals to finally see off a stubborn Metropolitan Police side in the FA Youth Cup.

And the young Blues will now be given another chance to impress at Fratton Park, with a third round test against Newcastle to come.

The hosts controlled much of the encounter, although some wasteful finishing looked to be sending the tie into extra-time.

But Matt Mayes and Tommy Scutt both struck inside the final 10 minutes to ensure they would continue their run in the competition.

It was not a first half full of clear-cut chances, but it was certainly Pompey who looked more likely to break the deadlock.

They dominated possession and were camped out in the opposition half for most of the opening 45 minutes.

Plenty of teasing crosses were being delivered into the area – with Dan Smith particularly threatening – but the visitors held firm.

The best opportunity arrived on 13 minutes when a neat passing move ended with Mayes’ strike superbly saved by Jake Maddock.

And the keeper was forced into action again soon after, although he was not overly troubled by a 30-yard drive from Theo Widdrington.

Metropolitan Police had not caused any problems at the other end, but almost scored against the run of the play on 37 minutes.

The Blues back-line were caught cold by a quick counter-attack and it took a fine stop from Nick Hall to deny Jamie Autorino.

But the action soon switched back to the other end and a cross from Smith was agonisingly out of reach for both Mayes and Harvey Bradbury.

Half Time: Pompey 0 Metropolitan Police 0

Pompey went close immediately after the restart, with the visitors failing to clear their lines from a corner and Maddock making a smart stop to deny Scutt.

There was then a lightning quick break from Ryan Facey for the Met, although with little in the way of support, he could only cross into Hall’s arms.

But, after that bright opening, the chances started to dry up and an additional 30 minutes started to look an increasingly likely prospect.

Metropolitan Police almost forged ahead, however, when Hall failed to deal with Autorino’s corner, only for Ben Marett to turn the loose ball over.

But it was the hosts who should have scored soon after, as an unmarked Sam Woodward volleyed Smith’s cross wide from close range.

The breakthrough finally did arrive on 80 minutes, though, when MAYES rose in the box to head home Kyle McDowell’s cross.

And SCUTT secured their progress in stoppage-time, confidently sliding the ball home after the Blues had breached a tiring back-line.

Pompey (4-1-2-1-2): Hall; Smith, Wakley, Widdrington (c), McDowell (Hancott 89); Read; Bedford, Scutt; Woodward (Brooks 82); Bradbury, Mayes (Lethbridge 90+2)
Goals: Mayes 80, Scutt 90+1
Subs not used: Collins, Casey

Metropolitan Police (4-2-3-1): Maddock; Herring, Masoapatali (c), Marett, Masampu (Scott-Boyle 68); Perana, Autorino; Ntantu, Gilbert (Bakare 86), Facey; Eze (Scantlebury 82) 
Booked: Gilbert
Subs not used: Mitchell, Thompson

Referee: John Pike

Attendance: 573

Advertisement block