Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


29 November 2016

Players apologise for half-time incident

Portsmouth Football Club have looked into an incident that occurred at half-time of Saturday’s match against Stevenage at Fratton Park.

The two players involved in the incident have made the following statements.

Michael Doyle said: “I have made no secret about the fact that I joined Portsmouth for one reason – to gain success and help the club achieve its on-field ambitions. This is a burning desire within me that is all-consuming.

“To wear the captain’s armband is the ultimate honour. However, on Saturday my desire to win unfortunately spilled over into a half-time incident for which I would like to apologise to my team-mates, management, those who work so hard behind the scenes and, most importantly, our fantastic supporters.

“I cannot undo what has been done, but as we embark upon an important run of fixtures, I can assure everyone that this incident will only serve to strengthen my – and the team’s – resolve to deliver on the pitch. I am, and will continue to be, totally committed to this football club.

“Having spoken with the manager and CEO, I have asked to make a donation to the club’s academy and Pompey in the Community.”

Christian Burgess said: “At half-time on Saturday, Michael and I engaged in a heated discussion that unfortunately escalated to an unacceptable point that we both regret.

“Michael and I are so desperate to succeed at this football club and our desire to win clearly crossed a line.

“Our differences were quickly resolved, even before the end of Saturday’s game, and I sincerely apologise to our supporters and everyone associated with the club for this incident.

“After speaking with the manager and the CEO, I have agreed to make a donation to our academy and Pompey in the Community.”

Portsmouth Football Club consider this matter closed and will be making no further comment.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account