Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Young Blues See Off Lewes In FA Youth Cup

Academy set up third round clash with Leicester

10 November 2017

Pompey Academy booked their place in the third round of the FA Youth Cup with a 3-1 victory over Lewes at Fratton Park.

It looked like a comfortable night would be on the cards when Josh Flint fired the hosts into an early lead.

Lewes were not prepared to accept defeat, however, and Alfie Headland drew them level straight after the interval.

That was the cue for the Blues to move through the gears and strikes from Bradley Lethbridge and Matt Mayes secured a home tie with Leicester in the next stage.

Before kick-off there was an impeccably observed minute’s silence to remember all those who have lost their life in service of their country.

Pompey might have taken the lead within seconds of the first whistle, but Dan Smith could not bring Flint’s corner under control at the far post.

Jordan Brooks then dragged a shot wide of the post, as the hosts set about trying to attack their opponents.

That mentality paid off as they took the lead after just six minutes, with FLINT steering the ball home after Leon Maloney’s delivery was not properly dealt with.

And the advantage was almost doubled moments later, only for Dane Tasker to make a superb double save to deny first Maloney and then skipper Mayes.

It was not all one-way traffic, though, and Lewes showed plenty of ambition to get forward, even if their final ball was often lacking.

A couple of deep free-kicks from George McCarthy were not leapt upon by the visitors, allowing Jack Collins to comfortably claim on each occasion.

Smith was certainly not afraid to try his luck at the other end and his header was kept out by Tasker, while another long-range attempt flew wide.

Lewes’ best chance came with a quick break up the pitch, but Dylan Gifford took too long to get a shot away, allowing Matt Casey to make a block.

It was Pompey who finished the half on top, however, and Maloney drew another save from the busy Tasker.

Half Time: Pompey 1 Lewes 0

Collins had not really been tested during the opening 45 minutes, but he was picking the ball out of his net just seconds after the restart.

McCarthy’s long-range free-kick might have flown straight into the net, although Headland was claiming that he got the final touch.

Pompey soon made a change to freshen things up in attack, with goalscorer Flint withdrawn for Lethbridge.

It was Maloney who was next to try his luck, but his curling effort did not cause Tasker too many problems.

The Blues started to apply more pressure as the second half progressed and Joe Dandy should at least have diverted a corner on target.

Tasker then claimed a Smith cross with Mayes ready to pounce, while Maloney glanced Lethbridge’s delivery just past the post.

But their dominance paid off on 67 minutes when LETHBRIDGE smartly controlled Smith’s centre before firing the ball home.

And the substitute also played a big role as the lead was extended just seconds later, bursting into the box and forcing Tasker to save with his feet, as MAYES gobbled up the loose ball.

That seemed to deflate Lewes and Pompey sensed even more goals, with Maloney and Oscar Johnston both going close.

Jack Chandler then saw a curling free-kick cannon back off the crossbar, as the Blues finished with a flourish.

There were to be no more goals, though, and now the hosts can look forward to welcoming Leicester to Fratton Park in the third round.

Pompey (3-4-1-2): Collins; Dandy, Casey, Hancott; Chandler, Brooks, Read (Whiting 77), Flint (Lethbridge 53); Smith; Mayes (c), Maloney (Johnston 71)
Goals: Flint 6, Lethbridge 67, Mayes 68
Booked: Flint
Subs not used: Pitman, Bridgman

Lewes (4-3-3): Tasker; Carter (Gilligan 79), Audis, Headland, Parker; Aguiar, McCarthy (c), Barclay; Jackson (Jenkins 55), Magrath, Gifford (Lindsey 67)
Goals: Headland 46
Subs not used: Hall, Dimelow

Referee: Jamaal Horne

Attendance: 474

Advertisement block