The latest Network Pompey Business Club event took place at Fratton Park last Thursday.
And if you missed the breakfast, here are five things you will have missed…
1. Dave Wright, Pompey’s head of academy performance and recruitment, was guest speaker at this month’s event, which was held in the Victory Lounge due to ever increasing numbers.
2. Dave started his career in football as a player, beginning with his hometown club Pompey, then joining Crystal Palace before a serious injury forced him to retire. He decided that teaching would be a natural and was soon approached by the Blues to be an academy coach, spending seven years in the role. Dave went on to become academy director for Stoke, also having positions with the Premier League and Football League before returning to Fratton Park earlier this year.
3. When asked about the club’s long and short-term plans, Dave reiterated the importance of attracting young talent and presenting them with a path to the first team. Since the club’s takeover, the focus for the academy programmes has been to not only produce future Pompey stars, but players who could eventually become valuable assets for other clubs. For example, when homegrown defender Adam Webster moved from Ipswich to Bristol City earlier in the summer, the Blues received a cut of the multi-million-pound transfer fee.
4. New Network Pompey members were welcomed, which this month included Football For Cancer and ATTIS Engineering Solutions.
5. Frank Wright from the club spoke about upcoming opportunities at Fratton Park, whether that be for business or pleasure. Click here for more information.
The next Network Pompey event – hosted by Network My Club – takes place on Thursday, September 20 (8.30am-10.30am). You can book your place here.
For more information about your company joining Network Pompey, which includes a place at every monthly networking event, a listing in most matchday programmes and more, visit www.networkpompey.co.uk or email email@example.com