Job opportunity at Pompey in the Community
Job title: Sports & Volunteer Coordinator
Salary: £17-18,000 per annum, fixed-term contract until December 31 2020
Responsible to: Project Manager
Purpose of Job
This new and exciting role will take the lead managing the newly established Sport England-funded sports and volunteering project ‘KickStart Sport’ in the city of Portsmouth.
Using the power of sport and the brand of Portsmouth Football Club, Pompey in the Community will become pivotal in aspiring young people to take on a sporting volunteer journey.
In partnership with Portsmouth Together, local secondary schools and developing new relationships with enablers and partners, the role holder will be tasked to move young people through a journey of physical activity, learning and social action, to develop a more physically active and empowered youth.
Managing the ‘KickStart Sport’ project, the role holder will oversee the administration, planning, coordination and reporting of this rewarding community-focused initiative.
In collaboration with Portsmouth Together, the role will take a lead in the steering group for the city wide volunteering ‘Portsmouth Together Conference’, with the role holder also becoming the lead for the launch of the new ‘Young Sports and Volunteer Conference’.
The project will also include a Sports Youth Board across the city to tackle local issues facing young people in the sport and volunteer sector.
In addition, the post holder will work across other projects that will include the National Citizen Service and other community schemes that benefit the lives of local citizens through targeted health, sports and cohesion initiatives.
The successful applicant will need to be able demonstrate experience of working directly with young people in either an educational or community environment and have an understanding of sporting initiatives and partnerships across the city.
The post holder will be required to work a 37.5-hour week, which will include both regular evening and weekend work.
- Establish and maintain good working relationships with project stakeholders and local community leaders and organisations
- Manage the project delivery to engage the maximum number of young people into Social Action & Physical Activity across Portsmouth, in both an educational and community setting
- Coordinate project staff to deliver a calendar of events and weekly sessions linked to the project KPIs
- Support participants holistically to develop as people and future leaders
- Provide accurate regular participant registrations
- Provide qualitative and quantitated evidence on project progress
- Work with all members of the team to identify and implement best practice across all activities
- Be part of the delivery team for the NCS programme in summer and autumn
- Take part in any other duties as deemed appropriate by line manager
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills
- To be flexible in working hours to meet the needs of the role (this will include weekend and evening working)
- Positive, enthusiastic and motivated with genuine desire to move the project forward
- Ability to react quickly to problems in a calm and professional manner
- To represent PitC in a loyal, professional and knowledgeable manner at all times
- A positive attitude to help others in the local community
- The ability to travel regularly and independently throughout the city
- Passion for sport and youth engagement
- Experience of direct engagement with young people
- A range of qualifications linked to the delivery of sports
- Valid DBS certificate (at Enhanced Level) – this will need to be submitted through PitC at appointment
- Youth work, community or educational experience
- Experience in dealing with challenging young people
- GCSE Maths and English A-C
- Driving licence and access to own vehicle
- Experience of working in partnership with other agencies to deliver shared outcomes
- Experience of working to achieve determined key performance indicators
- Experience of working towards strict deadlines
- Experience in administering funded sports/community programmes
- Knowledge of mentoring programmes and practices
- Experience of working on residential programmes
To apply for this rolem please send an appropriate covering letter – explaining how you meet the professional competencies and personal specification listed in the role profile – in addition to your CV to email@example.com