Pompey Ladies recently paid a visit to the Dick, Kerr memorial.
The side stopped off at Preston’s Deepdale ground on their way to play Blackburn earlier in the month.
That is the location for a memorial to one of the earliest women’s football teams in England, which was unveiled just before Christmas.
More than three tonnes of granite were used for the plaque and it measures six metres by four metres.
It was built to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the formation of Dick, Kerr Ladies, one of the most successful teams in the history of women’s football.
They played their first match at Deepdale on Christmas Day in 1917, with 10,000 supporters watching them in action.
The side also raised money for wounded soldiers in local hospitals and fundraising proved to be a consistent theme.
As an unofficial early version of the Lionesses, they beat France 2-0 in the first ladies international. They would later attract a crowd of 53,000 for a game at Goodison Park.
Even after The FA banned women’s football in 1921, the team continued playing in England and abroad, before eventually being forced to fold in 1965.
Click here for a comprehensive history of Dick, Kerr Ladies.