The latest Network Pompey Business Club event recently took place at Fratton Park.
It was another packed breakfast and if you were unable to make it, here is what you will have missed…
1. Open water swim coach, swimming teacher and motivational speaker Deborah Phillips was guest speaker. She told the story of how, in 2017, she became the 1,185th person – and 198th woman – to swim the English Channel, although it was not an easy or traditional journey getting there.
2. At the age of 13, Deborah’s father tragically drowned in a freak accident, leaving Deborah reluctant to even go near open water. However, inspired by the 2012 Olympics, wanting to get fit and overcome her demons, she started swimming and set herself a challenge – to swim the English Channel. She was soon swimming the seven-mile stretch across the Solent, then making the round trip the following year. Then, in the lead up to the Channel swim, she was diagnosed with pneumonia.
3. After months of recovery, hard work and gruelling training, Deborah swam the English Channel last year in a time of 17 hours, 53 minutes, fighting enormous waves, tough currents and jellyfish stings along the way. A magnificent achievement in itself, the swim alone raised more than £11,000 for five different charities, while all her long-distance swims totalled more than £20,000.
4. Pompey sponsorship and account manager Sophie Hall and marketing manager Shaun Whitmarsh were on hand to provide delegates with the latest information about hospitality and sponsorship opportunities available for upcoming games at Fratton Park. Interested? You can find more information here.
5. The final Network Pompey Business Club event of the year is the December networking lunch, which takes place at Fratton Park from 12.30pm to 2.30pm on Thursday, December 13. Bookings are already open and can be made here.
For more information about your company joining Network Pompey, which includes a place at every monthly networking event, a listing in most matchday programmes and more, visit www.networkpompey.co.uk or email firstname.lastname@example.org