Pompey in the Community (PitC) are offering a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Sport (football education programme) in partnership with Highbury College.
The two-year course is suitable for male and female students (over 16) who are keen to develop an insight into opportunities within the sports industry.
Base at the Pompey Study Centre – with elements at Fratton Park and Highbury College – participants will use purpose-built classrooms and facilities, creating a perfect learning environment in which to thrive.
Alongside their academic studies, students will train and play on a weekly basis, representing Pompey against other professional clubs in competitive fixtures – another unique aspect of the course.
National and international trips are also an integral part, with PitC providing the chance to visit world famous stadia and high-profile organisations.
Students train and play abroad each year, with recent tours taking place in the Netherlands and USA. They are optional, but provide a chance to learn and engage.
PitC are extremely passionate about enhancing the employability skills of students, which is why they have access to work experience within the organisation.
BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Sport
- Study a nationally recognised qualification equivalent to 3 A-Levels in partnership with Highbury college
- 12 hours of education per week
- Two training sessions per week plus a games programme
- Strength and conditioning, analysis, and recovery sessions included
- Primarily assessed through weekly coursework with some exams
- Practical training sessions led by UEFA qualified coaches
- Valuable work experience on Pompey matchdays and Pompey in the Community projects
This course is free to enrol on for all students aged 16-18. There is, however, a compulsory £200 (approx) cost for Pompey in the Community kit.
- A minimum of five 9-4 (A*-C) grades at GCSE, including English and maths (or equivalent)
- A keen interest towards playing regular football
- A commitment to follow high standards and expectations in a professional environment
- Apprenticeships in the sports industry
- University or American scholarships
- Job opportunities at Pompey in the Community
- Job opportunities within the sport and leisure industry
The open evening for boys takes place from 6pm-7pm on Monday, November 26, while the open evening for girls is being held from 6.30pm-7.30pm on Monday, December 3. Both take place at the PitC offices in Anson Road (PO4 8TB).