Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Reserves Beaten By Bournemouth

Lethbridge on target in narrow Pompey loss

15 October 2019

Bradley Lethbridge in action for Pompey Reserves against Bournemouth
Photo: Colin Farmery

Reserves Beaten By Bournemouth

Lethbridge on target in narrow Pompey loss

15 October 2019

Pompey Reserves’ opening Central League Cup fixture ended in a narrow defeat to Bournemouth at Nyewood Lane.

Jaidon Anthony’s brace at the start of the second half did the damage before Bradley Lethbridge grabbed a consolation.

It was a youthful side fielded by Liam Daish in Bognor, although five of them had experience of playing first team football in the EFL Trophy.

There was an early break in play for Corey Jordan to receive treatment, with the Cherries skipper receiving a bloody nose following a challenge with Lethbridge.

He might have broken the deadlock soon after, however, as a free-kick into the box just eluded the defender.

Lethbridge then threaded a pass through to Josh Flint at the other end, with the midfielder easing a shot just wide of the post.

It was proving to be an end-to-end opening to the group stage contest and Jake Scrimshaw fired into the side netting after being teed-up by Dinesh Gillela.

The Blues were soon back on the attack, although having combined well with Flint, Harrison Brook blazed over.

Both sides were looking dangerous and a timely challenge from captain Matt Casey denied Scrimshaw, while Eoin Teggart’s excellent cross was just out of reach for Brook.

Lethbridge was proving a particular menace and fired one effort narrowly off target, while a second was brilliantly tipped around the post by Will Dennis from point-blank range.

Pompey were getting into some good positions, but their finishing was letting them down and both Brook and Lethbridge fired shots straight at the keeper.

Half Time: Pompey 0 Bournemouth 0

The visitors came charging from the traps at the start of the second half and netted two goals in quick succession.

Anthony stabbed the first home from a few yards out and then, with the Blues defence in disarray, found it all too easy to race through and score again.

It soon took a last-ditch challenge from Liam Kelly – just seconds after emerging from the bench – to deny Tyrell Hamilton a shooting opportunity.

Anthony might have had a hat-trick, but Petar Durin managed to keep out his attempt and then smother the loose ball.

Bournemouth had been dominant since the break and Scrimshaw followed up Hamilton’s drive to find the net.

There was a reprieve for the hosts, though, as referee Barrie Small adjudged that the ball had been kicked from Durin’s hands.

Pompey finally managed to click and reduced their deficit with a fine goal, as Brook’s delivery from the right was perfectly placed for LETHBRIDGE to meet and hammer home.

Their opponents were still looking dangerous, however, and Shaun Cooper – who previously played for the Blues – showed his exasperation when an Alex Dobre effort sailed over the bar.

The hosts’ reply had done little to quell the Cherries’ attacking instincts and Scrimshaw fired wide at the near post.

But Pompey kept fighting and might have grabbed a late leveller, as Lethbridge’s shot was deflected past the woodwork.

Pompey: Durin; Kavanagh, Casey (c), Dandy (Robb 46), Hancott (Kelly 61); Brook, Storey (Bridgman 81), Flint, Teggart; Lethbridge, Stanley
Subs not used: L.Pitman, Anderson

Bournemouth: Dennis; Gillela, Ibsen Rossi, Jordan (c) (Hanfrey 46), Zemura; Glover, Dinsmore, Nippard (Hamilton 55), Dobre; Anthony, Scrimshaw
Subs not used: Besant, Gray, Trialist

Referee: Barrie Small

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account