Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Morecambe 1 Pompey 1

Bishop on target as Blues battle from behind

12 November 2022

Dane Scarlett in action for Pompey at Morecambe
Photo: Paul Thompson/Pro Sports Images
Match Reports

Morecambe 1 Pompey 1

Bishop on target as Blues battle from behind

12 November 2022

Colby Bishop was on target to ensure Pompey claimed a point from an often frantic League One contest at Morecambe.

They were lacking rhythm in the first half and Liam Shaw struck to ensure the visitors trailed at the break.

But there was a vast improvement following the restart and Bishop scrambled home a leveller before both sides created chances to turn one point into three.

Danny Cowley made three changes from the side that won at Hereford in the FA Cup eight days earlier.

Marlon Pack was handed a first appearance for almost a month after returning from a hamstring problem.

Owen Dale and Dane Scarlett were also restored to the starting line-up, having been ineligible at Edgar Street.

Jay Mingi and Reeco Hackett both dropped to the bench, while Ronan Curtis missed out with an ankle problem.

With the fixture falling directly between Armistice Day and Remembrance Sunday, a ceremony was held before kick-off and both skippers laid a wreath.

The match itself took a while to get going and a Sean Raggett header that looped into Connor Ripley’s arms was about as exciting as things got.

There was also a Clark Robertson corner that was sent into a dangerous area, but the ball would not land kindly for a Pompey player.

The first decent chance fell to the visitors midway through the half, as Dale collected Josh Koroma’s pass and saw a fierce effort deflected inches over.

Scarlett then had a shot diverted wide by a defender from a neat Bishop flick, only for referee Adam Herczeg to inexplicably award a goal-kick.

And a Connor Ogilvie cross then narrowly missed the head of Bishop, with Zak Swanson’s follow-up gathered by Ripley.

But just as the Blues were starting to apply some pressure on their hosts, they found themselves behind.

Adam Mayor cut the ball back for Shaw inside the area, with the midfielder enjoying far too much space to slot it home.

It looked as though there would be a further blow when Robertson won possession and was caught by Jacob Bedeau.

The skipper appeared to be in a lot of pain and Denver Hume was set to come on, but he tried to run the injury off.

Pompey were then indebted to Josh Griffiths for not falling further behind just before the break, with the keeper making a fine save to stop Jensen Weir from ending a quick counter with a goal.

Half Time: Morecambe 1 Pompey 0

Robertson did not emerge for the start of the second half, with Hume replacing him and Ogilvie moving to the centre of defence.

It was the Shrimps who were first to threaten following the restart, though, as Caleb Watts saw a long-range attempt swerve past the post.

Pompey were still enjoying spells of possession, but were lacking the final ball and guilty of some sloppy moments at the back.

They might have conceded again on 54 minutes, as Watts rose to meet Ryan Cooney’s cross and glanced a header narrowly wide.

And when Hume did send in a teasing low delivery from the left, Morecambe were able to clear the ball behind.

Ripley opted to punch the resulting corner and one that soon followed and although the keeper was unconvincing on both occasions, he managed to make just enough contact.

It looked to be only a matter of time before the leveller arrived and it finally came on 67 minutes following a spell of relentless pressure.

Hume had tried to get a cross in on a number of occasions before eventually finding Pack, whose header was cleared from the line by Anthony O’Connor.

But the move was still alive and Swanson sent the ball back into the mixer, where BISHOP was able to force it over the line.

A change immediately followed for the visitors, as Dale made way for Hackett to provide some fresh attacking energy.

Morecambe suddenly sprung back into life, though, and Griffiths kept out Dylan Connolly’s drive before Cole Stockton scuffed a shot wide.

They had better chances soon after and Griffiths used his legs to impressively keep out Connolly’s effort before Arthur Gnahoua flashed the ball inches wide.

Cowley tried to wrestle back control with a late double switch, as Jay Mingi and Joe Pigott came on for Swanson and Bishop.

It looked like a late opportunity might come their way, only for the ball to land just short of Koroma and then Morecambe to launch a quick break.

Stockton just had to slide the ball across for Weir, but it was a poor ball and Griffiths was able to make the save as the spoils were shared.

Morecambe (3-4-2-1): Ripley; O’Connor, Bedeau, Delaney; Cooney, Weir, Shaw, Love (c) (Melbourne 87); Watts (Connolly 75), Mayor (Gnahoua 75); Phillips (Stockton 75)
Goals: Shaw 36
Booked: Love, Connolly, Shaw
Subs not used: Smith, Rawson, Fane

Pompey (4-4-2): Griffiths; Swanson (Mingi 84), Raggett, Robertson (c) (Hume 46), Ogilvie; Dale (Hackett 68), Pack (Morrison 90+1), Tunnicliffe, Koroma; Bishop (Pigott 84), Scarlett
Goals: Bishop 67
Booked: Pack, Mingi, Hume
Subs not used: Oluwayemi, Morrell

Referee: Adam Herczeg

Attendance: 4,726 (1,057 Pompey fans)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account