Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Fleetwood 0 Pompey 2

Bishop and Pigott on target for Blues

24 January 2023

Colby Bishop scores for Pompey at Fleetwood Town
Photo: Craig Galloway/Pro Sports Images
Match Reports

Fleetwood 0 Pompey 2

Bishop and Pigott on target for Blues

24 January 2023

Pompey produced an impressive display to win on the road at Fleetwood, despite finishing the contest with just 10 men.

Colby Bishop provided the reward for the visitors’ dominance by opening the scoring just before the break.

The victory was threatened midway through the second half, however, when two bookings for Joe Morrell saw him sent off.

But any nerves felt by the noisy bunch of travelling supporters were eased when substitute Joe Pigott found the net.

John Mousinho made one change from the side that beat Exeter on home soil in his first game in charge at the weekend.

That came on the left-hand side of the forward line, where Michael Jacobs made way for Ronan Curtis.

Pompey looked to get at their opponents straight from kick-off and were the dominant team for most of the first half.

There was some neat passing football being showcased by the visitors, although they struggled to translate that into clear-cut chances.

They did have a good chance on 14 minutes, though, after Bishop turned Toto Nsiala and found Marlon Pack.

The skipper did well to create space in which to shoot and hit an effort that Jay Lynch just about managed to scramble around the post.

Ryan Tunnicliffe then tried his luck from the edge of the area and saw the ball deflect not too far wide.

There were further half-chances for the lively Curtis and Sean Raggett, although Lynch was not overly troubled by either.

He was beaten on 28 minutes after Bishop had spun inside the box and fired in a shot that rolled inches past the post.

The Blues kept pressing and had most of the possession and territory, but it looked as though Fleetwood would make it to the interval unscathed.

Pompey’s persistence finally paid off just before the break, however, after Morrell had done brilliantly to regain possession on the left.

The Wales international then surged into the area before cutting the ball back for BISHOP to flick into the net.

There was still time for the Cod Army to threaten an equaliser after winning a free-kick, although Matt Macey was able to deal with Promis Omochere’s header.

Half Time: Fleetwood 0 Pompey 1

There was a chance to double the lead straight after the interval when Nsiala was booked for hacking down Morrell.

The free-kick was worked to Tunnicliffe on the right and Connor Ogilvie got on the end of his cross, with the ball deflected over.

And the resulting corner pinged dangerously around the Cod Army area before eventually ricocheting behind off a defender.

Fleetwood then had a chance of their own when Carl Johnston sent in a teasing low delivery and Admiral Muskwe’s shot was saved by Macey.

It was proving to be a breathless start to the second half and Bishop’s pressing forced Lynch to kick the ball straight to Owen Dale.

The forward was tackled inside the box as he tried to get a shot away, though, and referee Anthony Backhouse waved away appeals for a penalty.

Curtis came close to adding a goal to his tireless showing on 66 minutes, thumping a rocket against the post.

A change immediately followed, with Mousinho adding some fresh legs to midfield by replacing Tunnicliffe with Louis Thompson.

But the Blues were then dealt a blow when Morrell – who had been booked earlier in the half for a foul – was penalised for handling the ball and dismissed.

That was the cue for Fleetwood to launch an offensive, although some resolute defending was limiting them to long-range efforts.

Bishop was given a breather for the final 10 minutes, with Pigott providing some fresh energy up top.

Pompey were not done trying to add goals of their own and Lynch had to get down well to deal with Dale’s strike.

And they did wrap things up on 83 minutes following some more good work from Curtis to win a corner.

It was sent into the box by Pack and met by the head of Ryley Towler, whose header came back off the bar, with the loose ball tucked away by an alert PIGOTT.

A heavy challenge on Curtis saw him limp off the field late on, with Denver Hume brought on to replace him.

And Pompey saw out the final few moments to ensure those hardy travelling fans could keep cheering long into the night.

Fleetwood (4-2-3-1): Lynch; Johnston (Lane 73), Nsiala, Wiredu, Earl; Robertson, Warrington (Dolan 62); Omochere (Hayes 46), Vela (c), Patterson (Andrew 62); Muskwe (Garner 62)
Booked: Nsiala, Wiredu
Subs not used: McMullan, Holgate

Pompey (4-3-3): Macey; Swanson, Raggett, Towler, Ogilvie; Tunnicliffe (Thompson 67), Pack (c), Morrell; Dale, Bishop (Pigott 79), Curtis (Hume 88)
Goals: Bishop 43, Pigott 83
Sent off: Morrell (two yellow cards)
Booked: Bishop, Swanson, Ogilvie
Subs not used: Oluwayemi, Freeman, Hackett, Scarlett

Referee: Anthony Backhouse

Attendance: 2,938 (276 Pompey fans)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account