Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Pompey 2 Charlton 2

Kamara and Bishop on target in Fratton draw

11 November 2023

Abu Kamara scores for Pompey against Charlton Athletic at Fratton Park
Photo: Jason Brown/Pro Sports Images
Match Reports

Pompey 2 Charlton 2

Kamara and Bishop on target in Fratton draw

11 November 2023

Pompey were denied a rare Fratton Park win over Charlton after conceding a stoppage-time equaliser to draw 2-2.

It was a stunning strike from Abu Kamara that opened the scoring before the break, while the hosts then hit the bar twice after it.

Alfie May responded for the Londoners in the second half, but Colby Bishop remained composed from the spot to restore the lead.

Just as the home faithful started to believe they would secure all three points, however, Conor McGrandles nodded in for the Londoners.

John Mousinho made a couple of changes from the side that won at Reading in the last league outing.

They were both enforced switches, with the injured duo of Regan Poole and Tino Anjorin replaced by Sean Raggett and Kamara.

There was an impeccably observed Armistice Day ceremony before kick-off, which involved both captains laying a wreath on the pitch.

That was followed by a bugler playing The Last Post and a minute of silence to pay tribute to all those who have made the ultimate sacrifice.

Pompey came flying out of the blocks when the game started and Alex Robertson’s attempt was beaten away by Ashley Maynard-Brewer.

Both sides were showing plenty of attacking intent in the opening stages, played amidst a raucous Fratton atmosphere.

May was trying to continue his prolific form for the visitors, angling in a shot that Will Norris just about got his fingertips to.

Tyreece Campbell then collected a threaded Louie Watson pass and his ball across goal was hacked from the line by Joe Rafferty.

The action was quickly switching from one end of the pitch to the other, with the hosts just lacking some quality in the final third.

But that certainly arrived on 31 minutes, as the Blues broke the deadlock with a strike of some considerable style.

A corner from Robertson was nodded away by Michael Hector and met by KAMARA, who sent a 20-yard volley dipping into the net.

Rather than sit on their lead, Pompey immediately set about trying to extend it, with Charlton left hanging on.

Terry Devlin did well to ease George Dobson off the ball and cut it back for Bishop, whose shot was deflected behind off Hector.

Jack Sparkes then swung a cross towards the far post, where Raggett’s downward header was well saved by Maynard-Brewer.

And when Rafferty sent in another dangerous delivery moments later, Kamara’s nodded attempt was deflected behind.

Charlton were certainly not out of the contest, although one promising move just before the break ended with Watson scuffing a shot wide.

Half Time: Pompey 1 Charlton 0

The Addicks looked to hit back straight after the restart, but a dangerous May ball across goal was hacked to safety by Robertson.

Some neat Sparkes footwork started a lovely move at the other end, with Devlin’s final pass for Lane just a tad too heavy.

The Northern Irish midfielder then sent a shot over the bar after Bishop’s initial attempt was deflected into his path.

They went closer to doubling their lead just before the hour mark, when Robertson received a short corner back.

He sent in an excellent cross that was met by a firm Bishop header, only for Maynard-Brewer to pull off a superb save.

A Rafferty free-kick then caused chaos in the box, but Charlton somehow managed to prevent the ball from going over the line.

And Pompey were left cursing their luck on 64 minutes, when they struck the crossbar twice in quick succession.

Kamara was first to smash a shot against the woodwork after taking a neat touch and when the ball flew to Bishop, he did exactly the same.

Mousinho then made a double substitution, as Kamara and Devlin made way for Gavin Whyte and Christian Saydee.

Charlton began to apply some pressure of their own and it paid off on 71 minutes, as May somehow managed to squeeze a shot home after swapping passes with Watson.

The Blues looked to hit back immediately and Maynard-Brewer was at his best once more to keep out a Whyte header.

But the keeper went from hero to villain moments later, bringing down Paddy Lane in the box and leaving Sam Allison with no choice but to point to the spot.

BISHOP stepped up to take it and was calmness personified as he rolled the ball into the net to restore the advantage.

The chances continued to come, with Robertson playing a one-two with Lane and sending a great ball for Bishop, whose attempt was diverted behind off Hector.

It looked like Pompey would hold on for the points, but they conceded an equaliser in stoppage-time to deflate Fratton Park.

Tayo Edun sent a long ball forward and it found substitute McGrandles, who headed home from close range.

It all became very open for the final few moments, with both sides sensing they could win it, but it ultimately finished all square.

Pompey (4-2-3-1): Norris; Rafferty, Raggett, Shaughnessy, Sparkes; Robertson, Morrell (c); Lane (Swanson 87), Devlin (Saydee 70), Kamara (Whyte 70); Bishop
Goals: Kamara 31, Bishop 75 (pen)
Subs not used: Schofield, Towler, Stevenson, Yengi

Charlton (4-2-3-1): Maynard-Brewer; T.Watson (Asiimwe 83), Hector, Jones, Edun; Campbell (Fraser 66), Dobson (c); May, L.Watson (McGrandles 83), Blackett-Taylor; Leaburn
Goals: May 71, McGrandles 90+3
Booked: Edun, Leaburn, Hector, Jones
Subs not used: Walker, Ness, Thomas, Tedić

Referee: Sam Allison

Attendance: 19,404 (2,147 away fans)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account